Friday, June 7, 2024

Mother's Coffee Bars

Mother's Coffee Bars

 

This is an old recipe that my mom used to make many years ago. It had a delicious blend of spices, raisins and a hint of coffee.   I made this cake as well when my kids were small and my parents were still with us. 

Life happens, and I had lost this recipe.  Last night, as I was looking through a box of newspaper clippings, I came across the recipe once again.  It brought back precious memories of family time, good times.  

 I know what I will be making for the dessert tonight.

Ingredients

2 c. brown sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 c. cold strong coffee
3 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins
1 c. nuts (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch cake pan. 

Cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.

Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Mix in the cinnamon, cloves, soda, and salt.

Add the flour alternately with the coffee.  

Stir in the raisins and nuts if desired. 

Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. The bars are done when a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Frost with a thin layer of powdered sugar icing, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment