Friday, January 29, 2021

Poor Man's Cookie Bars

 Poor Man's Cookie Bars


This is an old fashioned cookie bar recipe that I found in one of my mother's old cookbooks,  It is yellowed with age and stained with use. She used to make these often while I was growing up. I had lost the recipe and was so happy to find it again. I can make it for my kids and they can have some good memories as well.

Ingredients

1 c. raisins
1 1/4 c. water
1/4 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, beaten
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
1/2 c. nuts (optional)

Directions

Cook raisins, water and shortening together for 10 to 15 minutes.

Add vanilla and set aside to cool.

After the mixture is cool add the egg, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, salt, flour and nuts.

Spread the cookie dough in a greased cookie sheet. 

Bake at 375° for 18 to 20 minutes. 

Cut into bars when slightly cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment